As many of you know, I am a part of a family of five. My husband and I have three childen, three cats and two dogs. When we travel, we have to go by car. Airline tickets are just to pricy when you have larger family. Even most cruise boats only are equiped for a family of four rather than five so when we travel we typically drive to our destination. That being said, it is really important to be safe when traveling so far with loved ones, there for I have my list of ten tips for keeping safe on the wide open road.
1. Let someone other than the driver manipulate the GPS. Any small distraction like that could really cause an accident.
2. Think you can ignore a chip in your windshield? Think again! The windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.
3. Scheduling a windshield chip repair is easy! Companies like Safelite AutoGlass provide mobile service – wherever your car is – often within 24 hours of your initial call.
4. Forget do-it-yourself repair kits. The resin could easily shrink or yellow, lowering the quality of the repair. Safelite AutoGlass uses a patented repair process… A vacuum is created over the damaged area and the resin penetrates and fills the finest micro-cracks. The technician pulls off the vacuum changer and the UV light hardens the resin. Safelite’s resin is proven to be the strongest and longest lasting on the market.
5. Make sure that you get an oil change and have all of your tire pressure checked. Under-inflated tires not only use more gas, but are also dangerous.
6. Don't wait until the last minute before getting a refill on gas while out on the road. Running out of gas is a highly preventable hazard by filling up when there is more than an eighth of a tank left.
7. Replace your windshield wipers before leaving out on a long trip. Driving in the rain is its own hazard. Don't make it more difficult but limiting your vision.
8. Remember to bring your sunglasses. Driving in direct sunlight not only gives you a headache, but also lowers your visibility because things become too bright.
9. Try to time out your driving. Avoiding rush hours in big cities make save time and frustration by avoiding traffic.
10. Lastly, remember that unexpected things happen. Try to roll with the flow rather than getting completely frustrated. Frustration may cause you to drive more aggressively than you normally would which increases your possibility for having an accident.
About Safelite AutoGlass:
Safelite AutoGlass® was founded in 1947. Throughout our more than 60 years of service, our company has grown from a single store in Wichita, Kansas, to a national auto glass provider, serving nearly 4 million customers per year.
Through industry-leading 24-hour instant scheduling, convenient in-shop or mobile service, top-of-the-line materials and SafeTech™ certified technicians, you’ll find that Safelite AutoGlass offers superior customer service, value and quality.
More info: http://www.safelite.com
Follow Safelite on Twitter: @safelite
I hope that these tips help you stay safe this summer. Keep your cool and stay safe.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.